Well, here we are.
THE HEAT OF SUMMER.
Well…at least that is what it felt like these last couple of days.
I’m convinced that Mother Nature just can’t make up her mind.
If it isn’t frosty, cold temperatures that are happening, it is hot, humid conditions occurring.
Like I can’t have hot cocoa and a frozen slushie in my hand at the same time, Mother Nature!
Get. It. Together.
Like, what season are we in?
I can honestly say that I’ve forgotten.
Can any of you enlighten me?
Onward and upward.
Well, here we go.
Another Monday, another post.
Below are just a few of the headlines that I pulled from the news in the past week.
“At least 1 dead and 4 critically wounded in shooting at California church”
“10 dead in mass shooting at Buffalo supermarket.”
“At least 2 dead multiple people injured in shooting at a Texas flea market.”
“3 shot outside Milwaukee Bucks game. Two hours later, 17 others are shot a few blocks away.”
Pretty heavy stuff.
It makes it hard to try and find the positive on some days.
Even for the person nicknamed Mr. Sunshine.
Well, let’s shift our perspective quickly to something else for a moment.
Let’s look at the definition of simple.
There are three definitions that come up for this word.
It is defined as:
-Easy to understand, deal with, use, etc: a simple matter; simple tools.
-Not elaborate or artificial; plain: a simple style.
-Not ornate or luxurious; unadorned.
This week, among all the negative news that has been happening around our world, I have been able to find some extreme joy in SIMPLE things.
Here are just a few of those things:
- The conversations about every topic known to man with my co-workers that I have had the pleasure of working with in-person at the office at Webstaurantstore.
- The individual who I was matched with two weeks ago when I clicked ‘subscribe’ to Match.com. I’m happy to report that I’m still messaging with that same individual after two weeks with many simple joys throughout the communication.
- The woman at the theater who had a walker that I met at the end of the show to make sure was all set who said to me, “Thank you so much for taking care of us.”
- The woman at church who walked up to me during the Communion music to mention how much she enjoyed the music and that she got weepy listening.
- The magnificent sunsets that have caressed the Lancaster sky.
- Enjoying some breakfast (made by roomie) along with watching the Our Great National Park series on Netflix that is narrated by Barack Obama.
- Blowing bubbles with my niece Mackenzie outside in the sunshine on family dinner night.
- The smiles of approximately 82 middle school and high school students who traveled from a school in New York to see the Ephrata Performing Arts Center’s production of A Gentleman’s Guide To Love And Murder. Their faces and reactions were ecstatic amazement that just made my heart soar.
I urge all of you to find the simple joys in life as we continue to try and navigate the world around us that continues to throw crazy negativity our way.
Be kind to others.
Always lead with love.
And please do not forget to relish in the simple joys.
Sprinkle sunshine always,